THOMAS JEFFERSON'S OUTLINE FOR HIS BILL FOR
PROPORTIONING CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS.
(From the original, in Jefferson's handwriting).
I Crimes whose punishment extends to Life.
1. High treason. Death.
2. Petty Treason. Death by hanging.
3. Murder. 1. by poyson. Death by poyson.
II. Crimes whose punishment goes to Limb.
1. Rape &
2. Sodomy. Castration.
3. Maiming &
Disfiguring. Retaliation. Forfeiture of half to sufferer.
III. Crimes punishable by Labor.
1. Manslaughter. lst offence. Labor VII years.
3. Arson. Labor V years.
4. Arson of vessels. Threefold
5. Robbery &
6. Burglary Labor IV years.
7. Housebreaking Labor III years.
8. Horse stealing Restoration
9. Grand Larceny. Labor II years.
10. Petty Larceny Labor I year.
11. Witchcraft, etc. Ducking
12. Excusable homicide Nothing.
13. Suicide Nothing.
14. Apostacy. Heresy. Nothing.
(Copyright 2002 by Christian Heritage Ministries)